Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Not Today

Simon did so good this month. But then today I got so frustrated. I try so hard to get Simon exposed to other children, to try to get him to play, hoping for those glimmers where he interacts and takes an interest in his peers.

On Wednesdays, after school, we duck into the gym and the two other boys run around. Today I had to admit defeat that the idea of ducking into the gym for 5 minutes just won't work. He can't just "duck into" a place he likes and then leave after a couple minutes, then quickly throw on his coat and go to the car.

Today there was the frustration and dragging and me yelling at Simon in frustration once we got into the car, then Simon crying, then him getting the giggles on the way home while I remained frustrated.

It's just this moment, this mom I don't know well with the child in the gym. I try not to talk about Simon's problems to every Tom, Dick and Harry. I try to pass Simon off as normal for as long as I can. But there alway comes a time where I have to explain that we can't do what they can do. From now on, they have to go ahead without me. I'll meet them outside, meet them at the next place, see them Friday, etc., but we can't go along with the group. We can't follow their pace.

Not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home