Monday, December 05, 2005

Card Carrying Member

I'm not going to try to start at the beginning. I wouldn't be quite sure where the beginning starts. Instead, I'll start by saying that my son flunked out of preschool this week. I'm exaggerating. However, we did an three part evalutation for the typical development preschool and he didn't make the cut. So instead he will go two days a week to their equivalent of special ed.

I really thought we had it this time.

I always think we have it.

I'm starting this blog because I felt like Simon and I were in this special needs world as tourists, we were just passing through. Let the blogs be written by the mother's of children with real problems, I thought.

But my kid didn't make the cut for preschool today and it's one clear reality- I'm in the club. I dropped of binder full of documents for his new school, reporst and evaluations. Including, but not limited to: an IEP, speech pathologists (4), occupational therapists (2), special ed staff, his medical diagnostic, neurodevelopmental pediatrician, developmental therapist, all the way back to the early intervention screening where he first got dinged.

My child has some issues. And they're not going away.

So I will try to write this when I have a minute. And when you live this life, you only have a minute here and there. I do not know anything, and I will aim not to give advice. But I've meet tons of parent's in waiting rooms, and I've been blessed with aquaintences that became friends due in part by the bond we shared as parents who have children on the autistic spectrum.

For outsiders (and this is not really written for outsiders) I will try to explain it this way. I think for other types of learning disabilities, the parents to some degree have the diagnosis handed to them. Down Syndrome is a chromosonal disease. With love and hard work, the child can live to their fullest potential. But Autism is much less clear. For parents of children on the autistic spectrum we have the blessing and curse of hope. Some kids have these issues and they go away completely. Some children will never live independently, some kids end up just fine. Some kids make massive improvement, some kids stay the same, and some quirky kids become adults that win the Nobel prize. The only thing we can do it work like dogs, as early in our child's life, and hope that tips the scales.

And work we do. And spend money we do. And hope like hell we do.

Always,
Kathryn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home